Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp thyme fresh, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb pasta whole wheat or gluten-free; cooked and drained
- 3/4 cup broth low sodium chicken or vegetable
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt nonfat plain
- 1/2 cup milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz cheese shredded cheese of choice
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Toss butternut squash, onion, and garlic in olive oil. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp thyme. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until soft and browned. Once removed from the oven, reduce heat to 350º F.
- In the meantime, cook pasta according to package directions.
- When butternut squash is done, place in a blender with chicken stock, milk, yogurt, and nutmeg, and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta with squash puree. Mix in cheddar cheese (reserving 1/4 cup for topping), and 2 Tbsp fresh, chopped thyme, if desired. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray casserole dish lightly with cooking spray. Spoon noodle mixture into dish and lightly sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for 20-30 minutes, until bubbling and lightly browned.
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
Some of these links are affiliate links. If you click these links and make a purchase, I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.