Chicken Thighs with Cranberries and Butternut Squash is an award winning recipe created by our Culinary Registered Dietitian, Kaitlin Eckstein, MPH, RD, LD. This tasty entree is a warm, colorful dish to bring to the dinner table! It is a wonderful combo of sweet and savory. It looks so festive, it will be the hit of your next dinner party!
Chicken Thighs with Cranberries and Butternut Squash
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- 1/2 cup cranberries plus 1 cup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb butternut squash cubed
- 1 tbsp thyme chopped
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray sheet pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine 1/2 cup cranberries, olive oil, worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Pulse until smooth.
- Place chicken thighs in a large gallon bag, and add cranberry mixture. Seal and place in fridge to marinate for at least 1 hour, and up to 12 hours.
- Place butternut squash and remaining cranberries on prepared baking sheet.
- After placing the butternut squash and cranberries in the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and chopped thyme.
- Nestle chicken among the squash/cranberries, skin side down, and pour remaining marinade over chicken pieces. Bake for 40 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, switch oven to broil setting to slightly char chicken skin.
Not only does this recipe pair chicken, cranberries and butternut squash, thinking about how to combine common foods in new ways is a great way to expand your cooking skills, try new recipes and add variety to you diet. If you are a novice in the kitchen, sticking to a few basic ingredients is a really good way to get started and to improve your skills in an easy, manageable way. Take a look at other recipes in our collection of easy recipes grouped together below by ingredients.
Looking for more recipes with chicken thighs?
How about a new recipe using cranberries?
- Cranberry Orange Smoothie Bowl
- Pumpkin Cranberry Mason Jar Mix
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- Cranberry Orange Cheesecake Cups
- Kale and Quinoa Power Salad
- Strawberry Fields Salad
Butternut squash recipes made easy:
Recipe updated: March 31, 2020
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.