Looking to access your customized nutrient recommendations and messages from your Registered Dietitian?
Login to Fullscript for access.
Just getting started? Take a look through our FAQs or contact us at 301-474-2499 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: What is the philosophy of Rebecca Bitzer & Associates regarding supplementation?
A: As Registered Dietitians we will always recommend FOOD FIRST. Food is our medicine and the number one way to obtain the vital nutrients we need to not only survive but to THRIVE. That being said there are factors that affect the nutrition quality of our food, our intake and our nutrient needs such as quality of food supply, absorption issues, genetics, high stress, over the counter and prescription medications that cause depletion, and chronic and acute illnesses. These factors may create a higher need for nutrients than our food can keep up with. At Rebecca Bitzer & Associates we understand that each client has unique needs and along with our consultations to obtain a full history we offer the nutrient testing such as Spectracell, Boston Heart, Genova, and Nutagenomix to be able to customize a food and supplement plan for that individual. These plans are therapeutic to optimize nutrition and are reevaluated every 3-6 months.
Q: Are Registered Dietitians trained in providing customized supplement recommendations?
A: As Registered Dietitians we make sure to stay within our scope of practice. Within our scope Dietitians are responsible for:
- Assessing the nutrient status of our clients for inadequate or excessive intake of vitamins and minerals
- Evaluating the potential benefit or harm of nutrient supplementation given a clients nutritional and health status
- Evaluating the safety of a nutrient supplement given the form, dose, its potential for interaction with food, other dietary supplements and over the counter and prescribed medication
- Educating clients as to the potential benefit of receiving nutrients through conventional and fortified foods and recommending nutrient supplementation when food intake is inadequate
- Evaluating research regarding supplementation; and being aware of regulatory, legal and ethical issues of recommending and selling of nutrient supplements
AND Nutrient Supplementation Position Paper; JADA. 2009. Volume 109, Issue 12. p 2073-2085.
Q: Are all supplements created equal?
A: In short, no, not all supplements are created equal. Supplements can contain things we don’t want (such as lead) and may not contain what is listed on the label. In addition many supplement companies include a variety of fillers and ingredients that do not serve a therapeutic function but can introduce more opportunity for contamination and adverse reactions.
Q: Why are some supplements more expensive than others? Does it really matter what brand I buy?
A: Did you know that it costs about $400-$600 for a single nutrient to be tested by a 3rd party? Think about a multivitamin with 20 or more ingredients- that 3rd party testing could run up a bill of $12,000. This is why quality supplement companies products come at a greater price than those on the shelf in the pharmacy. This testing ensures that they are following Good Manufacturing Practices and what is list on the label is what is being delivered in the bottle. Remember, the most expensive supplement is the one that doesn’t work!
Q: How can I tell if a supplement is of good quality?
A: If you are a client of Rebecca Bitzer & Associates we do the work for you in vetting supplement companies for those that are tested, deliver the results and are safe given your nutrient needs. We offer a range of supplements depending on the process in the body we are supporting including Thorne, Designs for Health, OrthoMolecular and Integrative Therapeutics all in the convenience of one online store that you can purchase through as well as receive supplement recommendations specifically for your along with the directions on how to take them.
Q: How can I better understand my nutrient and supplement needs?
A: The process would start with an appointment with one of our Registered Dietitians to obtain a medical history, diet and lifestyle history, and family history. Depending on the need your Dietitian may suggest some testing to see what is going on inside your body. Along with the results of these tests and any of those tests already preformed by your doctor, your symptoms, medical history, disease state and diet your Dietitian will create a custom food and supplement plan. Your dietitian will continue to evaluate symptoms and lab results to make changes to your plan. Access your recommendations here.
Need the answers to more questions like the following?
- Do I have any vitamin or mineral deficiencies?
- Do I need a probiotic? Which one?
- Does my multivitamin have what I need?
- Do I have a vitamin D deficiency?
- How much fish oil do I need?
- What do I need to replenish if I take a statin drug for cholesterol management?
- Are there supplements that could help support my blood sugar regulation and help me manage my Diabetes?
If so, make an appointment with our Registered Dietitians to lead you out of deficiencies by addressing the underlying causes in your diet and lifestyle. We can help get you back to optimal health. Call us at 301-474-2499 or email us at email@example.com.